24 November, 2021
Designing the best home for the Moreton Bay climate
MORETON Bay Regional Council has released two new home and living guides to get people thinking about smart design, climate efficiency and affordable living ideas, before they start building their dream home.
Mayor Peter Flannery said living affordability and housing affordability go hand in hand—you know how much your house and land package is going to cost you, but do you think about the future running costs of your home and if the design will meet the lifestyle you want?
“Moreton Bay residents are demanding a return to decent-sized back yards with room to grow a tree, space for the kids to run around and a private place to enjoy the best climate in the world,” he said.
These guidelines are aimed at helping people to ask the right questions of their house designer and builder before they make big decisions like building a home, including:
· Is my house designed with privacy in mind?
· Will my air conditioning and heating costs be high?
· Will my windows let in cooling breezes and warming natural light?
· Will I have space to grow a tree or some vegies?
· Is there enough space to have friends over for a BBQ?
· Is the backyard big enough for the kids play equipment or for the dog to run around?
“So, if you’re thinking about building or renovating a home in the Moreton Bay Region, please read our home and living guides before you start planning and building,” Cr Flannery said.