Please note javascript is required for full website functionality.

Council

22 June, 2022

Future uncertain for Braemore causeway

THE future of the Scrub Creek Road causeway at Braemore is unclear, despite a temporary repair to reopen the road early in June.


The Scrub Creek Rd causeway that failed on May 25. Temporary repairs are being monitored, but the future of the causeway, and the creation of an alternative exit is unclear.


Andrew Johnson, CEO of Somerset Regional Council, said the causeway was ‘temporarily reinstated’ on June 1, and is open for public use ‘at a reduced speed’.

“Council is, and will continue to, regularly inspect and monitor the interim works to ensure safety of all road users,” Mr Johnson said.

Previously, Mr Johnson said the council would arrange for resupply of non-perishable food if the residents isolated by the causeway’s failure requested assistance.

“While residents were isolated, council maintained regular contact. Council received no requests for resupply.”

Somerset Mayor Graeme Lehmann initially said the council would contact the Queensland Reconstruction Authority for financial assistance in repairing or replacing the causeway once it had been inspected.

Cr Lehmann also said the council was working with the Department of Transport and Main Roads to open existing road reserves, to create an alternative exit route for residents.

When asked the progress of these negotiations, Mr Johnson said the council was ‘continuing to work with all relevant agencies on a viable and suitable long-term solution’.


Most Popular